Saturday, January 1, 2011

Week 1: Xela


Hola from Quetzaltenango, Guatemala! I am here for 2 weeks taking a Spanish intensive with an organization called Poyecto Linguistico Quetzalteco de Espanol(PLQ), trying to imrove my (very basic) Spanish before I continue traveling further South. It´s an amazing place, full of lovely people, and I am really enjoying my stay so far. I´m living with a host family in a small house close to the school. Several people live in the house, but I see Mari (the grandmother) and her grandson Juatel (an autistic man who is the same age as me), the most. See the ¨How´s my Spanish¨ page for a quick look at them.

Here are some pics to give you a better sense of the city.

A street market north of where I am staying.

A view from a typical street in Xela.

I can't resist a dog taking a nap.

A lil graffito...lots of cool stencils here.

This is the only picture I've taken of the house I'm staying in. These are the stairs next to my room, often occupied by Pinky the cat. I didn't know it, but Pinky was pregnant and the other night she had three kittens that all died soon after. So sad.
A bakery close to the school. It is named Brandon. So weird. I should have taken a close up of that sign out front. There´s a baby with a chef´s hat on.