Thursday, February 3, 2011


Road side eats.

Though I will miss coming home to a hot meal three times a day, it is nice to have a little variety and surprise as far as where I am getting my comidas. Here's a little sample of what I've been eating whilst on the move.


A beefy delight from a cart outside of a church, around the corner from the bus station in Guatemala City. What was nice about this was I got to listen to the church service and watch the neighborhood peeps mill about. It was delicious.
Pupusas! A favorite of mine in Bushwick, these yummy pockets have mainly been bean and cheese filled for me lately. These ones were available just past the boarder between Guatemala and El Salvador (where, incidentally, I watched a soldier flirting with a 13 year old girl for a while...super creepy).
A healthy breakfast en route to the Honduran boarder. More pupusas in the back, plus gooey sweet plantains and a super sugary fruit and vegetable "juice". I stretched these yummy morsels out all day long. Not pictured, a lil pack of oatmeal/granola cookies.
Soooo, Managua was a rather spooky place to stay and my room was less than luxurious, but just down the street was a little restaurant with a bunch of women cooking amazing food. This may have been the best meal I've had so far (rice and beans, chicken, fried cheese), possibly because I was starving and felt like an ape after another 12 hour day on the bus. That plate looks huge compared to the beer in the background (also delicious). PLus it had a zebra face on it once I finished up, which was cool.

No comments: